What is a spinal stimulator?
A spinal cord stimulator is a device that is implanted into the body to alleviate pain. This very specialized type of implant sends low levels of electricity directly into the spinal cord which reduces and relieves pain.
What is the Medtronic Intellis™ Spinal Cord Stimulator?
The Intellis™ Spinal Cord Stimulator is made by Medtronic, a premier medical device company. This high-performance neurotransmitter has a rechargeable neurostimulator and is powered by Medtronic’s proprietary Overdrive™ battery technology that is designed to overcome limitations many other SCS systems have by optimizing the increased energy demands of High Dose (HD) therapy.
The Medtronic Intellis™ is the smallest, fully implantable spinal cord neurostimulator. Medtronic offers the following advantages of the Intellis™ SCS:
- Less than 1 hour to recharge.
- Improved battery performance with minimal capacity fade
- Designed for patient comfort with flexible placement during implant
- AdaptiveStim™: Which is a technology that automatically adjusts the therapy as you move, delivering a personalized treatment based on 7 unique body positions.
- Snapshot™ Reporting: Advanced technology that allows the doctors at Optimal to objectively monitor patient progress.
Why would I need the Medtronic Intellis™ SCS?
If you have chronic pain that has not been helped by nonsurgical treatment options, a spinal cord stimulator may offer pain relief. The Intellis™ has been shown to improve overall quality of life and can reduce the need for pain medications.
How does the Medtronic Intellis™ SCS work?
The Intellis™ is an implantable device, similar to a pacemaker. It has thin wires, called electrodes and the generator or battery pack. The physicians at Optimal place the electrodes between the spinal cord and the vertebrae in the epidural space. The generator is placed under the skin (often near the buttocks or the abdomen.) The Intellis™ works by interrupting the pain signal that goes to the brain, so the patient doesn’t feel pain.
What does the Intellis™ spinal cord stimulator treat?
The specialized physicians use the Medtronic Intellis™ most often to treat intractable back and/or leg pain. Intellis™ has also found to be effective for:
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Intractable Angina Pectoris
- Movement disorders