Dr. Michael Phillips
Pain Management and Regenerative Medicine
Serving: Arlington, Cleburne, and Fort Worth, TX
Dr. Michael Phillips grew up in Stamford, Texas – near Abilene. He graduated with honors from Texas Tech University in 1991 with his Bachelor of Science degree. Then, he then graduated from Texas Tech University School of Medicine in 1995 and went on to the University of Texas HSC in San Antonio where he completed his internship in internal medicine in 1996 and his residency in anesthesiology in 1999. During his last year or residency, he served as Chief Resident. Following his residency, Dr. Phillips practiced anesthesia and pain medicine in Abilene, Texas for over 3 years before relocating his family and practice to the DFW area. Dr. Phillips is board certified in anesthesiology and a Diplomate of the American Board of Pain Medicine.
Dr. Phillips was the first doctor in Dallas Fort Worth to perform Autologous intradiscal stem cell (BMAC) injections for lumbar disc disease and also the first doctor to perform cervical spine intradiscal stem cell injections. He was the first doctor to implant the Medtronic MRI compatible Spinal Cord Stimulator system in the North Texas region and the first doctor in Texas to ever implant a gold-plated Medtronic Stimulator system for a patient with a Titanium allergy.
Dr. Phillips was the first doctor in the North Texas region and second in Texas to implant the Abbott Dorsal Root Ganglion (DRG) stimulator system for Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. He was also one of the 1st 50 doctors in the country to be trained on and implant the Superion Vertiflex indirect decompression spacer device for lumbar spinal stenosis.
Dr. Phillips has also served on a number of boards. He currently serves on the Executive Board and Medical Executive Committees and has previously served as Medical Director of several surgery centers in the Dallas Fort Worth metroplex.
Anesthesiology – U.T.H.S.C. – San Antonio, July 1996 to June 1999
Chairman: Joseph Naples, M.D.
Internal Medicine – U.T.H.S.C. – San Antonio, July 1995 to June 1996
- Medical School
Texas Tech University H.S.C. School of Medicine – Lubbock, Texas, 1991 – 1995
M.D. – May 20, 1995
Texas Tech University – Lubbock, Texas, 1988 – 1991
B.S. – May 1991 – Magna Cum Laude
Major: Zoology, Minor: Chemistry
- Pinnacle Anesthesia Consultants, P.A. / US Anesthesia Partners
Optimal Pain & Regenerative Medicine division of Pinnacle Pain Medicine
Arlington, Texas (Partner/Shareholder)
July, 2004 – Present
- Tx-AN Anesthesia, L.L.P.
October, 2002 – June, 2004
- Abilene Anesthesia Group, P.A.
Abilene, Texas (Partner since January 1, 2001)
July, 1999 – September, 2002
License & Certification
- Diplomate – American Board of Anesthesiology
- Diplomate – American Board of Pain Medicine
- Texas Medical License
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- Texas Society of Anesthesiologists
- Tarrant County Medical Society
- Texas Medical Association
- American Academy of Pain Medicine
- International Spine Intervention Society
- Texas Pain Society
- American Institute of Ultrasound Medicine
- American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine
Honors & Awards
- Chief Resident – Department of Anesthesiology- UTHSC-SA, 1998 – 1999
- Recipient of the Maurice S. Albin, M.D. – Most Outstanding Anesthesia Resident Award, 1998 – 1999
- Most Outstanding Resident in Critical Care Medicine UTHSC-San Antonio, 1997 – 1998
- Resident Delegate – Texas Society of Anesthesiologists, 1998 – 1999
- Resident Delegate – American Society of Anesthesiologists, 1998 – 1999
- T.T.U. – Dept. of Biological Sciences Top 10 Honor Student, 1990 – 1991
- Nominated by T.T.U. to attend 8th Annual Invitational Premedical Conference at UTMB-Galveston for Outstanding Juniors, 1990
- T.T.U. President’s Honor Roll for 4.0 GPA. Spring and Fall – ‘89, Spring – ‘90, Spring – ‘91
- T.T.U. Scholarship for Academic Excellence Recipient, 1989 – 1990
- Who’s Who Among American College Students, 1989
- National Dean’s List, 1989
- Phi Eta Sigma National Freshman Honor Society, 1989
Activities & Committees
- Member – Medical Executive Committee – Baylor Surgicare at Mansfield, 2010 – Present
- Member – Board of Managers – Mansfield Surgery Center, 2007 – 2010
- Member – Board of Managers & Medical Executive Committee, Cleburne Surgical Center, 2007 – Present
- Medical Director – Cleburne Surgical Center, 2007 – Present
- Medical Director- Surgery Center of Duncanville, 2004 – 2007
- Elected Vice-Chairman – Dept. of Surgery- Presbyterian Hospital of Allen, 2003 – 2004
- Abilene City-wide Formulary Committee Member, 2001 – 2002
- UTHSC-SA House-Staff Council Representative, 1998 – 1999
- Education Committee – Dept. of Anesthesiology, 1998 – 1999
- Committee Member – Dept. of Anesthesiology Chairman Search, 1998
- Member of Phi Beta Pi Medical Fraternity, 1991 – 1995
- Member of Alpha Epsilon Delta National Premedical Honor Society, 1989 – 1991
Lectures & Presentations
- Sedation and Analgesia by Non-Anesthesiologist – presented to Abilene Area nursing staff, 2001
- Anesthesia for MRI, 2001
- Sedation and Analgesia by Non-Anesthesiologists, 2000
- Anesthesia for Cardiac Disease in Pregnancy – Presented at West Texas Anesthesia Seminars- Abilene, Texas, 1999
- Lumbar Sympathetic Blockade – Presented for Dept. of Pain Management Grand Rounds – City of San Antonio, 1999
- Fetal Monitoring in Obstetric Anesthesiology, 1999
- Respiratory Disease Management in Post-Polio Syndrome lecture moderator for Respiratory Therapy Program – UTHSC-SA, 1998
- Anesthesia for Cardiac Disease in Pregnancy, 1998
- What to do When Called to a Code, 1998
- Case Conference on Critical Care Medicine – The Multi-Trauma Patient, 1997
- Case Conference on Neuroanesthesia – Management of a Patient with a Clivus Chordoma and Spinal Cord Compression Symptoms, 1997
Michael Phillips, MD Reviews
Submit your review
I can go on about my challenges. We all go to Pain Management for serious conditions. The fact of the matter is Dr. Phillips is giving me my life back. No dramatics. This is just my experience. I was in bed and giving up. Thanks to his knowledge, expertise, and treatment plan, I’m now participating in life again. I’m even about to give work a try. That was something I never thought possible. Thank you to the staff as well. They work hard and make things happen. I love my doctor and his staff. How do you thank someone for changing your life? You pray for them and their family!!
I have had torn cervical discs for 25 years. There was no option but surgery that would fuse my spine together. My son had an accident and was given no hope of normal walking by the orthopedic surgeon, but after stem cells, he walks will no pain or dislocation with the amazement of the surgeon. With such great success of my son, I had stem cells directly injected into my torn cervical discs. I am without pain and feel normal. While I was undergoing this surgery, I asked Dr. Phillips about the constant pain I have from a mastectomy. He suggested stem cells injected into the scar tissue of my breasts. It has been life changing. I have malformed breasts since my surgery with constant tightness and pain from the scar tissue. My nipples were not receiving enough blood flow for good moisture and feeling. I am now able to buy a normal bra and my breasts are shaped normally. They are no longer misshapen or taught. The pain is completely gone, with normal movement and sensation is growing back. The sensation that was numb is now beginning to have sensation once again. This tightness was affecting my shoulders and neck. I now sleep without pain and feel that my body looks normal. It has been the best money spent. I will continue to use stem cells for future injuries. Dr. Phillips is an exceptional physician. He is a several steps above the average doctor. He is extremely intelligent with a great bedside manner. He makes conversation comfortable and is ready to help you completely understand what is happening to your body to cause the discomfort. Few physicians in my lifetime have I had such confidence in their knowledge and ability. I recommend him to all my friends and other physicians.
After several lower lumbar injuries and treatments by other doctors I was refered to Dr. Phillips for treatment of acute pain in my legs, lower back and shoulders. His treatments and medications have lowerd the pain if not stopped it all together.
I recommend Dr. Phillips with great pleasure and praise him for the pain relief he has given me.
My past experience indicates that Dr. Phillips and Dr. Berlin are great pain management doctors. From my experience this time, it is easier to get an appointment with the Pope than it is to schedule and appointment with one of these doctors. I called this past Monday and was told that since I had not been there since 2013 I had to have a referral in order to get an appointment. After going to my family doctor and referral was sent, I called and tried to schedule an appointment. The lady that answered the phone said I need to hang up and dial "2" since I was a new patient. When I called back that lady that answered the phone said that I did not need a referral and scheduled my appointment after having to put me on hold 2-3 time for computer problems. Luckily I was able to get an appointment for July 18th.
After unsuccessful treatments a nerosurgeon prescribed, I asked Dr Philips if he could take me as a patient. I am so thankful he said yes. Thorough and accurate is his reputation among the surgeons who refer patients to him. I must add one other important description...caring. He cared enough for me and the terrible pain I've been in for so long. He ordered MRI's on my complete back which my other doctors didn't do. He found the problems to my back pain and now I am on the path to recovery, He is the best in his field. His assistants, Erica and Paige are consciousness and professional. They are on top of my appointments and medications. Evererything is already done before I ask. Thank you so much Doctor Phillips for giving me hope of being pain free. Thank you to Pinnacle Pain for making me such a high priority!
I have been a patient od Dr. Phillips for 5 years. He is a great doctor who never gives up trying to find a solution for your pain. My solution finally came this year with the St Jude Spinal Cord Stimulater. I had given up, but Dr. Phillips and his staff kept their positive vibes coming my direction until he was finally able to insert the stimulater. The pain now is much, much reduced. If you have chronic pain, i don't think there is anyone better to help you out. He just never gives up.
Dr.Phillips has been my dr since 2011 and he has not given up on helping me to at least get rid of some of my pain. Im a difficult case. Thank you Dr.Phillips