Dr. Andrew Cottingham
Pain Management and Regenerative Medicine
Serving: Arlington, TX
For Dr. Andrew Cottingham, the practice of medicine is about helping people. People who suffer each and every day from debilitating and chronic pain. People who are restricted from fully living their lives and unable to find permanent relief. A physician for more than 20 years, Dr. Cottingham has made a career of helping people take back their lives and live pain free.
Double board certified in Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Dr. Cottingham has been at the forefront of providing comprehensive interventional pain therapies, such as advanced minimally invasive techniques, ultrasound guided injections, and the growing field of regenerative medicine.
In August 2016, Dr. Cottingham was the first physician to implant the Abbott Axium DRG Stimulator System in a Dallas-Fort Worth Baylor medical system facility. Due to the selective and extensive training administered by Abbott Laboratories, only a limited number of physician in the US are trained to perform such implants.
Prior to exclusively dedicating his practice to pain medicine, Dr. Cottingham worked for a prominent Dallas-Fort Worth area anesthesiology group, was the Medical Director of an ASC and served as Medical Director of the PACU in a large metropolitan teaching hospital. Dr. Cottingham’s expertise in pain management and regenerative medicine has afforded him much recognition by his peers and professional organizations. However, Dr. Cottingham finds no greater satisfaction than helping his patients find an effective solution for their pain or condition.
When he is not in the office or in the operating room, Dr. Cottingham enjoys spending time with his family, hiking, and hunting. Most recently, Dr. Cottingham completed a hiking expedition in Peru, trekking through the Andes mountains to Machu Picchu.
- Pain Medicine Physician/Anesthesiologist
US Anesthesia Partners/Pain Doctor
Arlington, Texas, 2002 to Present
- Medical Director, Surgery Center of Duncanville
Advanced Pain Medicine/Pinnacle Anesthesia
Duncanville, Texas, 2002 to 2004
- Anesthesiologist, Anesthesia Consultants of Dallas
Methodist Hospital of Dallas
Dallas, Texas, 1996 to 2002
- Residency, Department of Anesthesiology
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
Iowa City, Iowa, 1993 to 1996
- Internship, Transitional Year
Broadlawns Medical Center
Des Moines, Iowa, 1992 to 1993
- M.D., Louisiana State University School of Medicine
New Orleans, Louisiana, 1988 to 1992
- University of Houston College of Optometry
Houston, Texas, 1986 to 1988
- B.S., University of Wyoming
Major: Mathematics, 1983 to 1986
- A.S., Arapahoe Community College
Littleton, Colorado, 1982 to 1983
- University of Colorado
Boulder, Colorado, 1981 to 1982
Professional Organizations & Committees
- USAP Pinnacle Election Committee Representative, 2016 to 2018
- Committee for Quality Care, USAP Texas/Pain Doctor, 2016 to Present
- Alternate Delegate, TSA House of Delegates, 2010 to 2012
- Medical Director, Surgery Center of Duncanville, 2002 to 2004
- Transplant Committee, Methodist Hospital of Dallas, 1996 to 2002
- Obstetrical Anesthesia Committee, Methodist Hospital of Dallas, 1996 to 2002
- Post Anesthesia Care Unit Director, Methodist Hospital of Dallas, 1996 to 2002
- Communications and Recruitment, Iowa Society of Anesthesiologists Resident Component, 1995 to 1996
- Board Certified by the American Board of Pain Medicine, 2004,2012
- Board Certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology, 1997
- Texas Medical License
Certification & Workshops
- Cooled RF Lesioning for Chronic Pain – March 25, 2017
- Superion Physician Training/Vertiflex – February 11, 2017
- Dorsal Root Ganglion Advanced Course/St. Jude Medical – January 18, 2017
- Dorsal Root Ganglion Education Program/St. Jude Medical – June 25-26, 2016
- Platelet Rich Plasma Concentration Technique/Bone Marrow Stem Cell Harvesting/Bone Marrow Concentrate Surgical Technique/Adipose Stem Cell Harvesting – November 2014
- Diagnostic and Interventional Musculoskeletal Ultrasound – July 2012
- Ultrasound for Pain Medicine Workshop – October 2011
- Botox for Chronic Migraines Workshop – May 2011
- Minimal Invasive Lumbar Decompression – February 2009
- Balloon Kyphoplasty – February 2008, January 2011
- Advanced Spinal Cord Stimulation Physician Workshop – September 2007
- Percutaneous Discectomy and Vertebroplasty – September 2004
- DISC Cervical Nucleoplasty – February 2004
- Implantable Pain Therapies – June 2003
- DISC Lumbar Nucleoplasty – May 2003
Andrew Cottingham, MD Reviews
Submit your review
Dr. Cottingham has wonderful bedside manners. He’s very respectful, a good listener and very caring. He took excellent care of me during all of my procedures and all of his staff were outstanding. I would definitely recommend him to other family and friends.
Dr. Cottingham was highly recommended by my chiropractor, who said everyone he referred had great success with pain relief. Dr. Cottingham has been caring and helpful, and the injections have been successful in relieving pain. The injections have gone smoothly, with outstanding staff, anasthesiologist, and minimal side effects because of the higher quality steroid medicine he uses. He has also accommodated recommendations from the surgeon I am consulting, which has helped tremendously with diagnosis and further pain improvement. The surgeon is pleased with Dr. Cottingham's work, as well.
After spending 15 years with pain management doctors giving me all kinds a steroid shots & The burn. I was told I had stenosis and scoliosis and degenerative disc among other things . But no one could give me a reason why . The minute Dr Cottingham got me under the x-ray machine for my steroid shots injections he told me I had a slipped disc. He sent me to an orthopedic surgeon to repair.
He is intelligent and smart and he knows what he’s looking at in an x-ray. He showed me and I didn’t know what I was looking at. I had had MRIs and CT scans over the years and no one saw the slipped disc except him. He has a wonderful bedside manner; he is considerate and respectful. And I am so grateful to him for finding the problem so we could fix it.
It is so refreshing to go to a doctor that really seems to care. His focus is to help you and he takes the time to make you feel at ease, I have complete trust in him and would recommend him to anyone. Also love his nurse. Just the best!
Dr. Cottingham has been working on my back for years briefly relieving the pain from Ankylosing Spondlitus. Nice man and very professional. He has long wait times but doesn't rush in and out once you get in to see him. No complaints here all compliments.
I can not imagine anyone saying anything negative about Dr. Cottingham or staff that have always shown compassion, caring and most of all patient. Dr. Cottingham is the best pain management Doctor in my book always welling to listen, explain and never trying to make decisions for the patient. I have experienced back surgery with several medical issues after surgery with a surgeon that showed no compassion and Dr. Cottingham is now trying to help me get back to my life of no pain. FYI Dr. Cottingham did not refer me to my surgeon. I believe God placed Dr. Cottingham in my path.
Doctor Cottingham will take as long as needed to help me each and every time I visit. He is the only doctor that doesn't blow me off or ignore questions. He listens well and tries his best to explain. I would rather wait for him than see someone who is only interested in breezing in and out of the room so they can see as many patients as possible. I at least know what is going on when I go to him, plus his treatments seem to work. Other places I have been try all kinds of procedures, they don't work and then the doctor pushes you away somewhere else. I suspect anyone bitter with this office most likely has never seen a doctor recently, or has do been doing sometime questionable and got caught.